Saturday, May 24, 2003

That Seventies Show

Was watching That Seventies Show last night, and it was the "Punk" episode. You know the one where Hyde meets a girl going to New York to start a punk band. Fez asks what Punk is, and Hyde describes it as "The nihilistic outcry against the corporate rock-and-roll take-over. It's the sound track the revolution."

To illustrate punk, They had three punk songs in the show--Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols, Alison by Elvis Costello, and a final song, that did not show up in the syndicated version last night. Namely, "I'm so bored with the USA" by the Clash.

Here are the lyrics

Yankee soldier
He wanna shoot some skag
He met it in Cambodia
But now he can't afford a bag

Yankee dollar talk
To the dictators of the world
In fact it's giving orders
An' they can't afford to miss a word

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Yankee detectives
Are always on the TV
'Cos killers in America
Work seven days a week

Never mind the stars and stripes
Let's print the Watergate Tapes
I'll salute the New Wave
And I hope nobody escapes

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?


Obviously it could have been cut because of syndication cuts that they always do--but they did keep the montage for the most part, right before, so I'm not sure. At any rate, it's a kick-ass song, whether it fits the current political climate or not.

No comments: