Thursday, May 01, 2003

Happy Loyalty Day

I hope you are all having as fun a loyalty day as I am. But, amidst all the joy, let us remember what loyalty day is all about. Our president, George W. Bush, put it this way, "Our children need to know that our Nation is a force for good in the world, extending hope and freedom to others. By learning about America's history, achievements, ideas, and heroes, our young citizens will come to understand even more why freedom is worth protecting. . . .

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2003, as Loyalty Day. I call upon all the people of the United States to join in support of this national observance. I also call upon government officials to display the flag of the United States on all government buildings on Loyalty Day.
"

Yep, in order to celebrate the freedoms this nation was founded on, we are called on to be loyal. I know that each of us will celebrate this momentous day in our own way, but when I think of loyalty, I think of dogs. Consider these words of Samuel Johnson, "I would rather see the portrait of a dog that I know, than all the allegorical paintings they can show me in the world."

That's why, this Loyalty day, I'm going to spend the evening crawling around on all fours and peeing on the furniture. And, of course, not worrying about the Government and what it's doing. Isn't that what loyalty is all about?

No comments: