Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Unintended Consequences

What would happen if the Music Industry successfully lobbied to end ripping of CDs. Hard to say, but I can say how it would impact me personally.

I don't usually buy digital music; maybe 3 dozen songs over the last few years; largely stuff where I only wanted one song on an album or where the album was difficult to obtain. I prefer to have a physical CD with liner notes and all. So currently I go to Best Buy/Borders/Vinyl Fever and buy my CD and then rip it.

But if ripping is illegal, well at that point I am required to buy two copies if I want to have it on my computer and I want a physical CD. And that will seem like a waste. So I will stop buying physical copies, and simply buy my music from I-Tunes or Rhapsody. Kind of a pain, and I'll miss having the liner notes. But better than shelling out money for both a physical CD and a digital copy.

While we are on the subject, I'd also like to say something to Jennifer Pariser and others of her ilk who want to take a moralistic tone on this issue. I understand your desire to stop people from stealing your music; but attacking the right to rip a CD is going too far. At that point, you are the thief. You are stealing my ability to use a CD I purchased as I want to. And as I have been able to use it for like a decade now? You are stealing my right to rip a CD. You might get away with it, but you can stop looking down your nose at the people you are stealing from.

No comments: