Friday, July 08, 2005

Round the Horn. An Irwin J. McIckleson Production

Volume II, as they say.

Yes this is Fictional 1910's Plutocrat Irwin J. McIckleson back for another look at the Liberal Coalition.

Let's start out with a website I found nearly incomprehensible - The Gamer's Nook. There is a
nice picture, however, of a checkerboard. It's nice to know that in this future age of thinking machines and blinking lights there is still room for an old fashioned game of checkers.

In Search of Telford has
the news that price for gasoline may soon reach $3.00 a barrel, which is an astronomically high price to pay for gasoline. I'll have you know that back here in the 1910s I pay three cents per gallon. I don't even really use it; I just buy it and store it in drums in the backyard. I'm planning on having a Viking funeral, when, and if, I should pass on.

Sooner Thought has
a section on President Bush meeting the Luxembourg Prime Minister, whom he apparently feels is a "piece of work." I know what he means. Marie-Adelaide, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (from my time) is somewhat of a piece of work as well; very opinionated. And she cheats at croquet (all Europeansns do, come to think of it, and most Americans).

The Countess, who sounds like she would have gotten along with the Grand Duchess,
reports that apparently the laws of gravity work somewhat as they do in my time. So if you shoot a bullet into the air in a fit of celebratory fever, said bullet will eventually find its way back to earth. I have to say I'm surprised that you future peoples haven't figured a way to get around this gravity, but until you do, I agree with the Countess's prescription; don't fire guns up into the sky.

THE FULCRUM has a
sad story of a former comrade who was killed in the line of duty serving in Iraq. War is never kind, which is why it is best avoided if possible. Plus it gets in the way of business (unless your business is war, I suppose).

Archy has
a post responding to some sort of bomb-throwing anarchist attack in London. He argues in favor of bringing those responsible to justice, which strikes me as the right policy to follow. I've enjoyed London the times I've went, so I would like to express my condolences to Englanders who may have suffered in this tragedy.

Rick's Cafe Americain has more on the
incidents in London. Apparently the perpetrators were what are called terrorists. I'm not sure if that's the same as saying Anarchist Bomb Throwers or different. Anyway he comments that President Bush has apparently decided to fight the Terrorists in Iraq so as to protect the western world? Maybe I don't really understand what is going on here - but if the terrorists are motivated by an ideology (like our own anarchist bomb throwers) surely this is somewhat of a foolish strategy. Can you shoot an ideology? Can you tie it down and trap it? I don't think so.

I know a little bit about this from my struggles to crush the Unions. You can't defeat bad ideas by force or coercion - frankly that usually made my unionists even more determined to hold onto their foolish ideas. Instead I would usually provide copious amounts of alcohol in order to persuade them to see that I wasn't such a bad guy after all. I don't know if that would work in this situation, but it's worth thinking about anyway.

Steve Bates, The Yellow Doggeral Democrat has
further condolences for those affected by the tragedy in London and also reveals that the group who is apparently responsible calls itself the Secret Organization of al-Qaeda in Europe. I have to wonder about a "secret" group claiming responsibility publicly, but perhaps I don't understand how these terrorists think.

The Podunk Press (also known as Words on a Page) has
some words on the recently passed 4th of July holiday and what it means. Very patriotic and inspiring words; it is good from my vantage point to know that Americans nearly a hundred years on still revere and support this country and its principles.

And that is it for another week. I am starting to enjoy doing these reviews, I have to say. Very educational.

No comments: