Tuesday, October 31, 2006

On Ne Badine Pas Avec L'amour

I don't know if I've posted this before - probably have. Should have checked my own website. Anyway this is a really great friend play by Alfred De Musset. Actually it's mostly pretty predictable and crappy, but in the middle there is a long discussion between two of the main characters in which it gets very good - in part because this section is cribbed directly from letters he wrote to a woman he was in love with at the time.

Anyway, here is my favorite section, translated as best as I can.
All men are cheats, flakes, frauds, grand-standers, hypocrites, braggarts and cowards, all females are liars, falsifiers, narcissists, busybodies and concubines, the world is nothing but sewer without bottom where the wisest of seals romp and climb on mountains of shit, but there is only one thing in the world holy and sublime, and it's the union of two of these being so imperfect and so hideous. One is often mistaken in love, often wounded and often sad, but one loves and when one has one foot in his grave, one can turn and see, and will say to oneself, I have suffered often, and I have fallen from time to time but I've loved. It is I who have lived, and not a false being created by my pride and my boredom.
Anyway that's the quote of the afternoon.

In other news Blogspot is discontinuing a service they had previously provided to me. Which means I can't update the quotes page or add additional pages to the website - I am working on a work around, but it is taking some time. If I can get this to work, however, it might give me more flexibility in adding things to the website. We'll have to see how it pans out.

No comments: