Friday, January 09, 2004

Candidate Review - The War in Iraq - Former Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun

Well, it's time for another trip round the horn. This week I thought we'd take on Iraq, as it is one of the key issues the candidates are using to define themselves and their opponents.

This is from remarks made on CNNs Crossfire, September 8, 2003.

"You should know, I opposed this war. I thought that the Congress missed - abdicated its Article 1, Section 3 -- Section 8 authority under the Constitution by giving a president who had not gotten the popular vote of the American people unilateral authority to go in with a preemptive war in Iraq. I didn't think it had anything to do with the war on terrorism. I've called it a misadventure. So we shouldn't be there, in my opinion. But having been - now that we're there, we've got young men and women in the field. We cannot abandon them. We have to give them the support they need to get the job finished. Americans do not cut and run."

No comments: