Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Further selections from President Bush's press conference

"And the other thing I look back on and realize is that we weren't on a war footing. The country was not on a war footing, and yet the enemy was at war with us. And it's -- it didn't take me long to put us on a war footing. And we've been on war ever since."

"Well, I think, as I mentioned, it's -- the country wasn't on war footing, and yet we're at war."

"And my answer to that question is, is that, again I repeat what I said earlier -- prior to 9/11 the country really wasn't on a war footing."

I'm not exactly sure what President means by us being on a War Footing. Other than the obvious; we declared war on and defeated both Afghanistan and Iraq (although the new government of Afghanistan has little power outside of the capital and there is a very active Iraqi Insurgency). But the homefront isn't really on a War Footing is it?

The only sacrifice the President (well, to be fair, more his advisors and supporters in the right wing media than himself) have asked, is for liberals to sacrifice their voice. Maybe I just don't understand the term "War Footing."

No comments: