Wednesday, April 14, 2004

An Exchange from the President's press Conference

Should have pointed this out earlier, but if you missed the press conference or chose not to watch it live (as I did), you can catch it Text and Video at the White House Website. Anyway this exchange piqued my interest.

Q Mr. President, I'd like to follow up on a couple of these questions that have been asked. One of the biggest criticisms of you is that whether it's WMD in Iraq, postwar planning in Iraq, or even the question of whether this administration did enough to ward off 9/11, you never admit a mistake. Is that a fair criticism? And do you believe there were any errors in judgment that you made related to any of those topics I brought up?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think, as I mentioned, it's -- the country wasn't on war footing, and yet we're at war. And that's just a reality, Dave. I mean, that's -- that was the situation that existed prior to 9/11, because the truth of the matter is, most in the country never felt that we'd be vulnerable to an attack such as the one that Osama bin Laden unleashed on us. We knew he had designs on us, we knew he hated us. But there was a -- nobody in our government, at least, and I don't think the prior government, could envision flying airplanes into buildings on such a massive scale.

The people know where I stand. I mean, in terms of Iraq, I was very clear about what I believed. And, of course, I want to know why we haven't found a weapon yet. But I still know Saddam Hussein was a threat, and the world is better off without Saddam Hussein. I don't think anybody can -- maybe people can argue that. I know the Iraqi people don't believe that, that they're better off with Saddam Hussein -- would be better off with Saddam Hussein in power. I also know that there's an historic opportunity here to change the world. And it's very important for the loved ones of our troops to understand that the mission is an important, vital mission for the security of America and for the ability to change the world for the better.


I find myself wondering what, exactly, Mr. Bush thinks would happen if he admitted to a little personal responsibility?

Somewhere in west Asia a young Saudi man sits, thinking. "Hmmmm. I think this terrorism thing is probably not the best way to go. Time to move on and get a real job. Wait a second, what did the President of The Great Satan say? He's admitting a mistake? Oh my. That proves that now is the time to attack."

No comments: