Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Politics At It's Dirtiest

Politics At It's Dirtiest

Poor Ben Shapiro. Ben is in danger of being sued by the Governor of California. Apparently Ben has a friend who witnessed Governor Davis blowing up in a crowd of people. Ben, noting that Davis had a history of anger, decided to call Gabriel Sanchez, Davis’s Campaign Spokesperson to confirm the quote. Sanchez didn’t confirm it and suggested that Shapiro might face legal action for Slander. Oh no! Poor Ben only has $8,000 in his checking account, and a small baseball card collection worth $200.00.

Of course Ben did not in fact leave himself open for slander accusations. He made it clear that he was repeating what he had heard. And one might wonder if Ben’s fellow conservatives might support him in his battle with Governor Davis. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben’s political capital began to rise. And I’ll bet Ben is aware of all these facts.

I am not, however, immune to the danger that Ben is in, and my great heart goes out to him. But then I remember another article young Ben wrote.

He said, on the possible strafing of an Afghan wedding party, “Maybe I'm a hard-hearted guy, but when I see in the newspapers that civilians in Afghanistan or the West Bank were killed by American or Israeli troops, I don't really care. In fact, I would rather that the good guys use the Air Force to kill the bad guys, even if that means some civilians get killed along the way. One American soldier is worth far more than an Afghan civilian.”

No comments: