Friday, September 22, 2006

Round the Horn. An Irwin J. McIckleson Production



Greetings all. My name is Irwin J. McIckleson, and I am a fictional 1910's plutocrat. I have been given the assignment to provide a review of various future websites, in exchange for which, I receive a window into the future that I can exploit to bring some of your future inventions back to my time. Specifically I have discovered Pan-Asian Cuisine and Velcro. Velcro surprised me - I thought you future people would be doing it all by magnets.

Why aren't you doing it with magnets?

Anyway let's get to work.

Musing's musings has
some thoughts on a bill that just passed which apparently deals with the possibility of torturing people you detain in your war on terror. I have to say that seems to contradict the values of America. In the last war, we all hated the Hun but we wouldn't have tortured him. Just killed him.

LEFT is RIGHT has
other thoughts on this issue, suggesting that Senator McCain, who is supporting this bill, may not be a pillar of integrity.

Liberty Street has
further thoughts on this torture bill - apparently there is some question about which techniques it allows for and which it does not. He also has a description of torture, which seems quite unpleasant.

Pen-Elayne on the Web has
further commentary on a recent meeting of bloggers and the intersection of race and bloggers.

Rooks Rant has
the news that over 1,100 expensive electronic devices have been lost by the United States Commerce department. I think I would be firing everything in sight if that happened around here - it would be like the great warding of 16 when I got in such a frenzy I ended up destroying the city of Clarksville.

You future people don't expect very much out of your government.

A Blog Around The Clock wishes a
happy birthday to H.G. Wells who is dead in your future time.

rubber hose
has thoughts on a radio commentator named Limbaugh who is upset at the prayers of a Persian religious leader, who spoke in the United States recently.

Sooner Thought
has thoughts on a future plutocrat who is pumping some of his enormous wealth into an attempt to fight global warming. Smart move - it's hard to exploit your employees if they are always keeling over from heat exhaustion.

Scrutiny Hooligans has
some thoughts on the value of protest music. One of my employees wrote a song about me once "The Tyrant on the Hill." I had him sing it at the company Christmas party - and then fired him, and kicked him out the party. I was in a bad mood.

Speed Kill has some thoughts on how adherents of the religion of Islam do not understand Irony. I will note that this is a characteristic of religious people in general, I have noted.

And that is all I have time for this week. Have a pleasant weekend.

No comments: