Monday, February 13, 2006

Round the Horn. An Irwin J. McIckleson Production



Hello all. This is Irwin J. McIckleson, fictional 1910's Plutocrat.

Here's the big surprise that Cheery has been hinting at. Today we are going to do a round the horn feature that is so big I couldn't do it all myself. This, of course, is a little white lie. There is nothing so big that I couldn't do it myself. At any rate we have some 32-33 websites we are linking to today - so we have divided them up among the staff and brought in the Post Modernist and Jean Louis Crowley to help round out the staff. And, since I usually provide this feature, it was decided that I would go first.

So let's begin.

Bark Bark Woof Woof has written
a brief informative post on the sort of people President Bush is appointing to the Federal Reserve, a 35 year old aide, who is considerably younger than the rest of the board. Apparently this nomination is not being greeted with accolades from the financial community. I have to say I agree with the financial community on this and every other issue; President Bush should nominate someone who knows what they are doing.

Collective Sigh has had a birthday, which is good, and also has
the news that a staggering fifty six vets of the recent Iraq conflict are running for Congress on the Democratic ticket. How did they all become millionaires so quickly?

Speaking of the Iraq conflict, LEFT is RIGHT has
the comments of a Paul R. Pillar, who argues that the decision to invade Iraq was made before the data was gathered (and the data was gathered to support the decision already made). This can lead to trouble.

When I was going to build my stately pleasure dome (following in the tradition of Charles F. Kong), I picked what I thought would be a beautiful spot, on a plateau overlooking a peaceful valley from whence I could survey my superiority over my fellow man and be satisfied with myself. The architect suggested that building on this particular area was not safe, as the ground was not stable. I scoffed at his concerns, sure that he was trying to cheat me. Actually I'm pretty sure that everybody is trying to cheat me. In this case he was right - they had scarcely installed my solid gold African elephant when the entire foundation cracked and it was ruined. We were able to salvage much of the materials but it was a huge and disappointing set back. So I suggest to Mr. Bush, that in the future he should get the facts, then decide what to do.

rubber hose
provides more details on this Pillar person, and speculates that the Bush political machine will try to destroy him. I would agree that this is likely. When you can't do anything to fix the message, always best to shoot the messenger.

But perhaps careful thought is a skill that eludes President Bush. Scrutiny Hooligans has
a story about the President in which he caused the members of the Press to leave his area, but then they were able to listen in anyway because he forgot to turn off the microphone (which makes little sense to me, but apparently you will know what I am talking about).

It is, of course, also possible that Mr. Bush new that the press was listening in, and sent them from the room to increase the likelihood they would repeat his words. Kind of like Tom Sawyer white-washing the fence.

Finally we have
further thoughts on the State of the Union from blogAmY. Apparently it is relatively easy to predict that President Bush will call for tax cuts for the rich. I do have some doubts on the theory that increasing my wealth will help other people (because it will trickle down). I take steps to see that my wealth stays with me and doesn't go any where. But perhaps future plutocrats are more generous.

And that is it for my selection. Next up will be Crowley I think. So tune back in later for more links and discussion.

No comments: