Friday, January 27, 2006

Round the Horn. An Irwin J. McIckleson Production



Good morning all. This is Irwin J. McIckleson, fictional 1910's plutocrat, doing a review of posts on the internet.

I regret not being here last week, but I was being toasted in Boston for firing my 1,000 worker. I fired him because his cheeks were too clean; I could tell he wasn't working. People who are working have dirty cheeks, this is something every plutocrat learns. So I sent him packing, and one of my accountants pointed the happy event. So I went to Boston to celebrate.

And now I am back.

Bark Bark Woof Woof has
a discussion of the enormous expansion of executive power under President Bush. Apparently President Bush has declared his right to interpret the law as he sees fit, and that his interpretation is the one that will matter.

. . . You Are a Tree has
a similar story, about the President's issuing of signing statements to Congress which negate the purpose of the passed bill. I have done that on occasion as well. When the Board of Trustees sends over some direction or other, I send back a note saying "Neener neener neener." Seems to do the trick.

Iddybud has
a revealing quote from President Bush in which he explains his rational for evading the law. It's not quite as pithy as "Neener neener neener" but it's nearly there.

Apparently, President Bush's state of the union is upon us, and Words on a Page has
some questions you might consider as you prepare to listen to it.

Speedkill has
some reactions to the news that Hamas, a political party, has done well in elections in Palestine. I have a hard time following this story, but it sounds important.

Steve Bates, the Yellow Doggeral Democrat, has
some thoughts on filibustering President Bush's nominee to the Supreme Court and on standing up to the Republicans in general.

archy has
a piece on a young man who feels that school discriminates against him as a male. Apparently females enjoy obeying the rules, and males do not enjoy obeying the rules, so the existence of rules discriminates against men.

I wish I could hire this young man so that I might have the exquisite pleasure of firing him.

firedoglake has
a short piece on the ongoing question of why conservative comic strips are not funny. My question is why are future comic strips so tiny? Are you short on paper in the future?

SoonerThought has
the story of a Virginian representative who fired off a handgun in the General Assembly building. Apparently accidentally. Still it is nice to see that the old ways are still carried on.

rubber hose has
a story involving Uzbekistan, Fur, and Underclothes. That should be enough to get you to check it out, I'd wager.

The Countess has
a story on a car paint that apparently changes color depending on ambient temperature. She would like a car painted with such material. I would like a car that was a color other than black (heliotrope, perhaps), but Mr. Ford assures me, and all consumers, that we really prefer black.

And that is it for another week. Hope you all have productive weekends.

No comments: