Monday, November 21, 2005

Monday Mail Bag



Hey Space Minions!

By the way I found a cache of old Junior Space Minion of Evil badges. You see Captain Starfaller, being a crazy egoist, had a club of kiddies called the Star Brigade. They would get a badge that said "Junior Cadet of the Star Brigade" and it would have their name on it. Anyway, I talked the director into setting up the Space Minions of Evil club, but before we could get it on the air, the sponsor nixed it.

Apparently some of the parents (the closed-minded ones) would think that a club of evil is somehow offensive.

Anyway the director did give me the leftover badges, but attempts to hand them out on my own proved, well, not very good. There were purses hitting my carapace involved. I'm a bit more sensitive to these issues now, and I do have to say that sidling up to a kid and saying "Hey want to join my Space Minions of Evil club?" really doesn't look all that good. Oh well.

I ought to put these on eBay or something.

Anyway on to this weeks comments and letters. Last weeks
Catalogue of Commentators entry (on Dennis Prager) engendered quite a little debate (3 comments!). Bryant participated so I won't, but it's worth checking out.

An article on Brent Bozell's contention that President Bush deserves some credit for keeping us safe summoned forth this response from Random Goblin.
We don't know he has "kept us safe" since 9/11. He certainly didn't keep people safe in New Orleans. ahnd he certainly hasn't kept our soldiers very safe.
This little note, by the way gives a clue as to Mr. Goblin's origins. The adding of an unnecessary "h" to the word and is characteristic of retired British Army Colonels and Bostonians; and I know for a fact that Mr. Goblin is not from Boston. You are left to draw your own conclusions.

As for his comments, I agree. Or I don't. I haven't decided yet.

Being a Lobster, I don't actually have a spine.

Turning to the mail bag, we have a plethora of interesting letters. Let's start out with a letter who's first line could be a shoegazer album title.

Greetings to you, from little Fred Williams
Just Released, Jimmy and Mopes' latest chart topper "Greetings to you, from little Fred Williams." This conceptual album traces the story of a poor little 17 year old from Cote D'Ivoire who has $18,500,000.00 and nowhere to put it. Contains the hit singles "Oh Please Mr. Foreigner" and "Just Give Me your Bank Account Number Already."

We also got a letter from Ghana which starts with this thesaurus bursting sentence.

Forgive my indignation if this message comes to you as a surprise and may offend your personality for contacting you without your prior consent and writing through this unofficial channel.I got your contact from a profesional database found in internet while searching for a reliable and honest person that will assist me safeguard funds into an account.
Let's open up our dictionaries and help translate that first sentence.

Forgive my anger aroused by something unjust, mean, or unworthy if this message comes to you as a surprise and may offend your totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person for contacting you without your prior consent and writing through this unofficial wood or steel ledge projecting from a sailing ship's sides to spread the shrouds and keep them clear of the gunwales.

I don't know if that made the sentence any clearer, now that I look at it.


Anyway that's all for today; hope you all have pleasant weeks, and be sure to get your Junior Space Minion of Evil badge, once I figure out how to sell them.

No comments: