Thursday, October 27, 2005

An Interview with Space Lobster



Here is the second of our six interviews with members of the staff.

Q. So what do you think your role is here at Make me a Commentator!!!?

Space Lobster. I answer the mail in the Monday Mail Bag. [long pause] That's pretty much it.

Q. What do you think of the website?

Space Lobster. I don't really read it that much, other than in while I'm responding to letters. Politics isn't really my thing. I'm more into crushing people with my mighty Pincers or ruling the world or galaxy.

Q. Do you think this website has much of a future?

Space Lobster. I really couldn't say. I know there's some question about that around the office. Cheery has certainly been emotional the last couple of days; and she would know. [pause] I've gone through this before so I'm a bit better prepared than some of the others.

Q. What do you mean?

Space Lobster. Well the Adventures of Captain Starfaller was nearly cancelled in the middle of the first season, and I was put on suspension in the middle of the second season and nearly fired. And of course we were eventually taken off the air at the end of the fourth season.

Q. So do you think this situation is similar?

Space Lobster. Well I don't know. I know that our hits are up. We are due to break 3,000 hits this month for the first time. On the other hand that's very low compared to a lot of other websites, and the number of people who stick around who visit the site regularly seems to be limited to a very few. [pause] I think there's also a lot of emphasis being placed on the artifical date of three years. Cheery and Bryant have placed too much emphasis on this anniversary.

Q. I gather they believe it worth celebrating.

Space Lobster. Cheery thinks it's worth celebrating. She's a very traditional sort of person; when an anniversary comes around you celebrate. I dont' know I think it's worth noting, but this is all too much. Rather we should be focused on doing each post as good as we can do it. Make it funny or make it insightful or whatever.

Q. And that's what you try to do?

Space Lobster. Well when I'm
not hung over. Or upset that I lost a part.

Q. Changing the subject, do you have any favorites among the
four potential candidates to appear at this site?

Space Lobster. I like Jean-Louis Crowley. I went and saw him in Amsterdam a couple of years ago - he was very good. Very silky singer. I don't know how good he would be at commentating but I'm curious.

Q. So if he wins you'll start reading the blog?

Space Lobster. Probably not. But you never know.

No comments: