Thursday, October 27, 2005

An Interview with Irwin J. McIckleson



Q. So you are Irwin J. McIckleson, Fictional 1910's Plutocrat?

McIckleson. That's correct.

Q. So you are fictional?

McIckleson. Yes.

Q. What does that mean?

McIckleson. I'm fabricated. I was made up by Bryant, I believe, and I have no reality outside of my appearances on this blog.

Q. Does it hurt being fictional?

McIckleson. You should know, you are just as fictional as I am.

Q. Yes, but I don't have a personality.

McIckleson. Fair enough. Fictional or not, I know who I am and what I am. So I have that to stand on.

Q. What are you?

McIckleson. I am a man of will. I have created an impressive business empire, and I control the lives of thousands. I did it because I chose to. Life is a simple matter of imposing your will on reality. It is always a struggle because others will try to force their wills as well. But if you are determined and forceful, you will emerge victorious.

Q. What do you think the future of this website is?

McIckleson. It will continue to thrive and grow.

Q. Really?

McIckleson. Yes. This website will struggle. Life is struggle. But it will overcome. There is a strength of will here that will hold things together. A certain will to succeed. I don't know whether everybody here will remain affiliated with the website. But the core people will continue to thrive.

Q. Despite the low numbers and the value of the Blog being zero and very few people participating in
the promotional events?

McIckleson. That's all meaningless.

Q. Really?

McIckleson. This blog is a statement; the value of the blog is in making the statement. Whether or not the statement is heard or not is irrelevant. If I do a 'Round the Horn' feature, I do it for myself. I give not a moments thought to anybody who might read my words. [pause] The important thing is to speak, not to be heard.

Q. But if you speak and nobody listens what does it accomplish?

McIckleson. There are two things that exist. You and everybody else. But the only thing you know for sure exists is yourself. Attempting to change the universe, may not change the universe. But it will certainly change you. And that is what matters.

Q. You are more philosophical than I imagined.

McIckleson. Thank you.

Q. And for the
question of the day, who do you like to join the Make Me a Commentator Staff?

McIckleson. I like Durango, at least half of him. He has a fine tenor voice, and his singing is very melodic. Of course his more . . . rough side will be interesting, but I guess it's a package deal. We will handle it.

No comments: