Thursday, October 27, 2005

An Interview with Grumbly Muffin






For the interest of those interested, we will be presenting a series of interviews with the members of the staff here at Make Me a Commentator!!!

Q. I understand today's interviews have special relevance to you, Ms. Grumbly Muffin?

Grumbly. Yes they do actually. My first appearance on this website was to conduct an interview with Bryant about the website. I gather he felt the original mission statement wasn't as applicable as it had been and he wanted to have something that said what the purpose of website was.

Q. So what do you consider your role at Make Me a Commentator!!! I mean, you are the conservative on the staff; what does that mean?

Grumbly. Well that's just it; I provide a conservative counterpoint to the bizarre ramblings of our more liberal scribes. I provide an alternative. You see the thing about Liberalism is that it doesn't hold together intellectually. It can't.

Q. When you talk about bizarre ramblings, you mean Bryant's posts?

Grumbly. Well I don't like to say. But certainly Cheery doesn't do many political posts anymore and the others are pretty non-political, so . . .

Q. What do you see as the future of this website?

Grumbly. I'm not sure it has one. I think that ironically by allowing me and Grumbly [Cheery?] to post here, the former management may have doomed this site. If readers come here looking for liberal content and they read what I have to say, well, it's unpleasent. Liberals don't like being confronted with the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of their position. On the other hand, this is still predominently a liberal website; me being here isn't going to be enough to draw in any Conservative. Particularly since they aren't interested in promoting me.

Q. Why do you think that is?

Grumbly. I can speculate, but I don't know for sure. I have a very forthright manner; I call a spade a spade and I call liberalism the product of diseased minds. Naturally that offends some of my coworkers.

Q. But you think the writing is on the wall for the website.

Grumbly. Could be. You saw the post earlier this week about the value of this website. It didn't bother me that much, but it clearly shook up some of the others.

Q. Why wouldn't it bother you?

Grumbly. Liberal commentary, being morally and intellectually empty, has no value. And even if it had value, there's certainly plenty of it around. Frankly if every liberal website but say Atrios and Talking Points Memo and the Huffington Post and CorrenteWire and firedoglake dissappeared, how much would we really miss the rest?

Q. Well presumably you wouldn't miss even those websites.

Grumbly. [chuckles] Oh I like looking at liberal websites; it always amuses me.

Q. So you don't see much of a future for Make Me a Commentator!!!?

Grumbly. You know, you should never say never; but my gut tells me another month, maybe two, and the Monster will pull the plug. There's just no future in this site. That will be kind of rough for the new guy, who ever he ends up being.

Q. Speaking of which, who do you think should be the new commentator?

Grumbly. I like Puke, with some reservations. Her anger is pretty scattershot and she might end up a hardcore liberal (even more hardcore than Bryant). She was fun to watch though; she clearly took a bit of a dislike to Cheery. She put on some Black Flag, and started playing it really really loud. Cheery tried to get her to turn it down. It was interesting to watch. [chuckles] I don't think she has much of a chance though.

No comments: