Friday, August 12, 2005

Round the Horn. An Irwin J. McIckleson Production



Good morning all. It's time for another edition of Round the Horn, where I act as your computo-guide to the denizens of the Liberal Coalition. I am Irwin J. McIckleson, fictional 1910's plutocrat.

First up is an
extended and impassioned post by Pseudo Adrienne at Echidne of the Snakes. I don't fully understand it, but if I am reading it correctly this Roberts person who is being considered for a seat on the Supreme Court willingly defended some roustabouts who blew up a medical facility that performed abortions? This puts me in mind of those lawyers down south who make their money defending lynch mobs (in the few instances where such cases actually make it to the courts). I appreciate the principle that everybody is entitled to a lawyer (except the chinaman of course), but I don't think such lawyers need to be rewarded with high positions.

firedoglake presents
an example of a responsible lawyer in Fitzgerald, who is going after this Rove scoundrel. It's interesting that this lawyer is apparently in some danger of being fired for pursuing criminals while another lawyer and judge is to be rewarded for defending them. In my day we liked our judges to go after the criminals, but perhaps the modern world has changed.

Pen-Elayne on the Web has some thoughts on the proper way to react to
a death. I usually send a ham in condolence myself. Or, if I didn't like the deceased, I send nothing, but make a special late night visit to the grave site.

rubber hose makes
some interesting points about how the war in Iraq is being covered. Apparently the paper of record believes a chinaman's restaurant to be of greater import than the forced replacement of the mayor of Bagdhad.

Scrutiny Hooligans has
the story that some of the people involved in project Minutemen which purports to protect the boarders of the United States are what is known as Nazis which is the ideology held by the leader of Germany and his party from 1933 to 1945. Apparently the philosophy stuck around and is still in the United States. I have to say it seems like a particularly senseless philosophy. At any rate some of these minute men are apparently in favor of this Nazi philosophy.

Speedkill has a
long discussion (several in fact) on a book by a Christian Apologist. He appears to be a rationalist, and so takes issue with some of the arguments made by the Christian Apologist.

THE NEWS BLOG has what I take to be an
allegorical story about recent changes in the world of television news. Apparently there are a lot of royal attitudes in the news rooms which I find sickening. While I've dined with royalty regularly and enjoyed it frequently, the royal attitude has no place in America. Here those who have power, like myself, acquire it by crushing the workers under their heels themselves. They do not get their power because their great great grandfathers crushed some peasants.

The Invisible Library
has news that prisoners in our Caribbean prison are enjoying that Harry Potter book I found reference to last week. Apparently it has the power to sooth the wounded heart.

And that's all for this week. I apologize if I am a bit off - suffering from a summer cold and it's been two weeks since I was able to fire anybody. At any rate, I will return next week with more links from the world of baffling future blogs.

No comments: