Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Upcoming Court Mud Fight






Hi Everybody !

As we all know, Justice Sandra Day O'Conner recently stepped down. This gives President Bush the opportunity to nominate a new candidate to the bench and to put the recent Senate Compromise to the test. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to the upcoming fight. : - (

Bill Murchison, as shown by his
latest article, shares some of my concerns.
Therefore, it's not, after all, Judicial Nomination Time. It's Election Time. Get ready to hate. Get ready to distort and vituperate and throw around catch phrases like "ideologue" and "hard right." If you enjoyed the last presidential election, you'll just absolutely love and adore the coming Senate and media battle over ... whomever.
I think Mr. Murchinson is right here. I hope the President lives up to his claim to be a uniter and not a divider. He could show his uniting colors by nominating a candidate who Senate Democrats could support.

By the same token, I hope that Democrats don't go overboard in pillorying whoever President Bush puts up. Of course we should discuss why we support or don't support his candidate, but we can do that without personal attacks or unpleasantness, can't we? : - )

I think we can! : ))

No comments: